St Mike’s – OFSAA Championship in the Bag?
The Blue Raiders have racked up another tournament title, and have yet to lose in Canada. St. Mike’s won the All Ontario Catholic Classic, defeating St Francis in the championships, despite being without star PG Nelson Kaputo.
At this point in the season, it looks like the OFSAA championship is for SMC to lose; Can this group stay focued and keep their eyes on the prize? Or is the target getting too big? Teams are hungry to take down #1…and it all comes down to one game, come playoff time.
As far as SJK is concerned, the Blue Raiders still have to get through them to punch ticket into OFSAA.
St Mary’s Boost Stock in Hamilton
St Mary’s captured the Silver Fox title, while picking up quality victories over Bishop Reding, St Francis, Saltfleet and Dyouvillle in the title game. As you will see in the #NPHTop25 a lot more happened over that weekend, with top-ranked team clashing seemingly in every game played.
Father Goetz Captures Sheridan Cup
Father Goetz left it all on the floor against St. Marcellinus. Freddy Ibrahim finished with 27 points, 2018 point guard Jaelin Llewellyn put up 21 and Matthew Carating had nine. These three carry most of the load for the Gators and are balanced in their contributions.
They are two wins away from securing a spot in ROPSAA playoffs. First they will have to get through a young team also from Mississauga the St. Joseph Jaguars and then follow up with a win against St. Francis Xavier.
Goetz already has down to the wire wins against both of the above mentioned teams. St. FX and the St. Joe’s Jaguars will be coming for revenge.
Kelowna Captures Western Canada Ship
The Kelowna Owls picked up some big victories at their home tournament en route to the championship. Kelowna defeated #NPHTop25 member Oak Park (MB) 70-57 in the finals, while also defeating Winston Churchill (BC) 80-71.
Previously in the season, the Owls travelled to Alberta and handled top teams within the province, picking up victories against Bishop O’Byrne and Archbishop O’Leary. Kelowna has been on the outside looking in all season; the victory over Oak Park takes the BC contingent over the hump!
Also at the Western Canada tourney, Harry Ainlay (arguably the top team in Alberta) suffered losses to Oak Park (76-56) and the top dog out of Saskatchewan, Leboldus (86-72).
Winston Churchill (BC) crushed Leboldus 104-80.
Overall, the Western Canada tournament which featued many of the West Coast’s best teams provided further insight–British Columbia teams had a strong showing, proving to be stronger than their provincial counterparts.
Ridley Upsets #2-Ranked SJK!
Ridley has been quietly getting better. With their latest upset over #2-ranked SJK, Ridley is saying that there’s more than one team in St Catharines (St Francis) that is earning recognition.
This young Ridley team starts four 11th graders and one grade 10. They have an overall record of 26-6. Their strength of schedule isn’t the strongest, however they do play in the tough private league (CISSA) which features both St Mikes and SJK.
The win over SJK is their first signature victory–enough to have them on the outside looking in.
UPDATE – They did it again! (See the must watch video)
Pickering Still Soaring, Defeat Cross Town Rival Pine Ridge
Pickering continues to incline; when the Trojans meet the Pumas of Pine Ridge, you can always expect it to be a heated battle. In their latest match up, Pickering came out victorious in double-overtime thanks to a Todd Byce game-winner!
Early in the season, it was PR that came out on top in the slimmest of margins, 86-85.
The head to head match up is now at 1-1, however Pine Ridge still holds the stronger overall resume, the team also picked up key wins over Oak Park and Saltfleet at the Silver Fox.
Brebeuf Jumps into NPH Top 25
St Jean De Brebeuf (Hamilton, ON) had a strong showing at the Silver Fox tournament picking up key victories over three #NPHTop25 members — Corpus Christi, Oak Park and MacNab. Key losses to D’Youville and Corpus Christi (at the All-Ontario Catholic Classic).
COACHES: Create Your Team Profile
NPH is excited to introduce a new feature on NorthPoleHoops.com that offers HS coaches the ability to create and update their team profiles to track progress and provide NATIONAL exposure. Coaches can contact Info@NorthPoleHoops.com to get started.
Canadian National HS Rankings – Release #10
- St Michael’s (Toronto, ON)
- Campion (Brampton, ON)
- SJK (Kitchener, ON)
- Eastern Commerce (Toronto, ON)
- Henry Carr (Toronto, ON)
- Pine Ridge (Pickering, ON)
- St Francis (St. Catharines, ON)
- D’Youville (Brampton, ON)
- St Marys (Kitchener, ON)
- Oakwood (Toronto, ON)
- Henry Bourassa (Montreal, QC)
- Vaughan (Vaughan, ON)
- Pickering (Ajax, ON)
- St Jean De Brebeuf (Hamilton, ON)
- Saltfleet (Hamilton, ON)
- MacNab (Hamilton, ON)
- Corpus Christi (Burlington, ON)
- Kelowna (Kelowna, BC)
- Oak Park (Winnipeg, MB)
- Holy Trinity (Oakville, ON)
- Thornlea (Thornhill, ON)
- Terry Fox (Port Coquitlam, BC)
- Father Goetz (Mississauga, ON)
- Catholic Central (Windsor, ON)
- Citadel (Halifax, NS)
Outside Looking In
- Leboldus (Regina, SK)
- Ridley College (St Catharines, ON)
- Cameron Heights (Kitchener, ON)
- Winston Churchill (BC)
- Vancouver College (Vancouver, BC)
- Kildonan East (Winnipeg, MB)
- Bishop Reding (Milton, ON)
- St Marcellinius (Mississauga, ON)
- Bishop McNally (Calgary, AB)
- Fredericton HS
- SJAM (Waterloo, ON)
- Harry Ainlay (Edmonton, AB)
- St Patrick’s (Ottawa, ON)
- Auburn (Halifax, NS)
- Cathedral (Hamilton, ON)
- Heritage Woods (Port Moody, BC)
- Jean Vanier (Richmond Hill, ON)
- Notre Dame (Brampton, ON)
- Pope John Paul II (Scarborough, ON)
- Winston Churchill (Calgary, AB)
- St Thomas More (Hamilton, ON)
- Notre Dame (Welland, ON)
- West Humber (Toronto, ON)
- Castlebrooke (Brampton, ON)
- Crescent (Toronto, ON)
- Bishop O’Byrne (Calgary, AB)
- St Francis Xavier (Mississauga, ON)
- Oak Bay (Oak Bay, BC)
- Martingrove (Toronto, ON)
- Ross Sheppard (Edmonton, AB)
- Horton (Halifax, NS)
- Emery (Toronto, ON)
- Kennebecasis Valley (Quispamsis, NB)
- Kennedy (Windsor, ON)
- St Francis Xavier (Edmonton, AB)
- Garden City (Winnipeg, MB)
- Leo Hayes (Fredericton, New Brunswick)
- Mother Teresa (Scarborough, ON)
- H.B Beal (London, ON)
- Archbishop O’Leary (Edmonton, AB)
- Chatham-Kent (Chatham, ON)
- Father Lacombe (Calgary, AB)