Over the last week of action, we had three key tournaments that took place in Ontario, British Columbia HS basketball kicking off, and a big game that went down in Edmonton.
No shortage of basketball to track over the weekend!
St Francis Xavier, Castlebrooke Making Mark
St Francis Xavier (Mississauga, ON) made their mark on the season defeating Corpus Christi (86-74) and #NPHTop25 member Cameron Heights (57-55), eventually losing in the championship to Top 10-Ranked St Edmund Campion 67-56.
Castlebrooke (Brampton,ON) has been the team flying under the radar, but have the talent, and produced at the Campion Showdown. They picked up two easy wins against St Martins and Turner Fenton, but more importantly put up a good fight against Campion, losing by only five 51-45.
Henry Carr Finding Groove
At the Mark Walton tournament in Hamilton, the Henry Carr Crusaders found their groove, picking up three quality wins over Cathedral (74-63), Holy Trinity (70-54) and D’Youville (64-49).
SJK Adds Quality Win on Resume
Saint John’s Kilmarnock have been very consistent, in that they get steady production from mutliple players and control the flow of games. Teams won’t be able to beat SJK without executing at the same level—they have shown that they wont be giving anything easy, wins will be earned against this team. They picked up a key win over Saltfleet, who you could expect to potentially climb as the season progresses. Well coached, with strong pieces, including their stud Nikola Djogo.
Ross Sheppard VS Harry Ainlay
Arguably the top two teams in Alberta matched up in the Shep tournament finals, and Ross Sheppard came out victorious 89-72, lead by Yasser Abduallahi, despite Aher Uguak dominance for Ainlay, which included five jams in the game.
Ross Sheppard is the top team in Alberta until proven otherwise.
St Francis in Bahamas
St Francis won the KSA Events Beach Bash in Paradise Islands, Bahamas defeating St Augustine of Nassau 56-21, Ralston Valley of Colorado 54-41 and Kentucky Country Day of Louisville 48-41. Next up for this team is the St Francis Xavier Rimrocker, where they will be tested.
Pickering on the Way Up?
The Pickering Trojans, have just started their season. The school name holds weight with no shortage of Division one alumni, and their biggest name an NBA Champion (Cory Joseph). But it’s a new day, and Pine Ridge has been the team to beat out of the Ajax region in recent history. The two teams faced off in the David Preston Memorial Tournament; Pine Ridge would end up champion by the slimmest of margins (86-85), but Pickering definitely earned their respect, also beating JC Richardson convincingly, 90-44.
Burnaby South Goes 5-0, Jermaine Haley Dominating
Burnaby South went 5-0 en route to the Kodiak Klassic championship. Jermaine Haley is averaging 34 PPG, 10 RPG & 8 APG.
- EC Holiday Classic DEC 11-13 – If all goes according to Eastern Commerce’s plan, the Saints will walk away with another tournament championship. There will be several teams looking to spoil the party.
- Chancellor Invitational DEC (12-13) – Features Bishop Reding, Corpus Christi, & Cardinal Newman as teams to track.
- Xavier Rimrocker DEC (15-17)- Home team St FX will have another opportunity to play against top-ranked teams. This tournament includes SJK, St Francis, Campion, plus West Humber, and both Notre Dame squad (Brampton and Welland)
- Wesmen Classic DEC 27-30 – This tournament will provide insight into just how good Oak Park is out of Manitoba. Canadian basketball fans have also wondered how they will stack up against Ontario’s best in January at the Silver Fox tournament. Time will tell.
Canadian National HS Rankings – Release #5
- St Michael’s (Toronto, ON)
- SJK (Kitchener, ON)
- Oakwood (Toronto, ON)
- Campion (Brampton, ON)
- Eastern Commerce (Toronto, ON)
- Henry Carr (Toronto, ON)
- D’Youville (Brampton, ON)
- Vaughan (Vaughan, ON)
- Pine Ridge (Pickering, ON)
- Thornlea (Thornhill, ON)
- St Francis (St. Catharines, ON)
- Leboldus (Regina, SK)
- Ross Sheppard (Edmonton, AB)
- St Marys (Kitchener, ON)
- Oak Park (Winnipeg, MB)
- Saltfleet (Hamilton, ON)
- MacNab (Hamilton, ON)
- Holy Trinity (Oakville, ON)
- Harry Ainlay (Edmonton, AB)
- St Francis Xavier (Mississauga, ON)
- Cameron Heights (Kitchener, ON)
- Corpus Christi (Burlington, ON)
- Bishop Reding (Milton, ON)
- Auburn (Halifax, NS)
- Winston Churchill (Calgary, AB)
Outside Looking In
No shortage of teams to track! Below are those across the country that possess the talent, and capabilities of beating #NPHTop25 teams and climbing throughout the season. Wins & losses will ultimately dictate their future ranking.
- Pope John Paul II (Scarborough, ON)
- SJAM (Waterloo, ON)
- Notre Dame (Welland, ON)
- Catholic Central (Windsor, ON)
- West Humber (Toronto, ON)
- Castlebrooke (Brampton, ON)
- Burnaby South (Burnaby, BC)
- Winston Churchill (Calgary, AB)
- Horton (Halifax, NS)
- Pickering High (Ajax, ON)
- Notre Dame (Brampton, ON)
- Emery (Toronto, ON)
- Assumption (Burlington, ON)
- Herman (Windsor, ON)
- Kennedy (Windsor, ON)
- St Francis Xavier (Edmonton, AB)
- Eastwood (Kitchener, ON)
- Mother Teresa (Scarborough, ON)
- Martingrove (Toronto, ON)
- H.B Beal (London, ON)
- Cardinal Newman (Hamilton, ON)
- Kitsilano (Vancouver, BC)
- Archbishop O’Leary (Edmonton, AB)
- Sir Winston Churchill (Vancouver, BC)
- Bishop MacNally (Calgary, AB)
- A.N Myer (Niagara, ON)
- St Patrick’s (Sarnia, ON)
- Father Lacombe (Calgary, AB)
- Terry Fox (Port Coquitlam, BC)
- St Patrick’s (Ottawa, ON)
- Citadel (Halifax, NS)
- LCI (Lethbridge, AB)
- Merivale (Ottawa, ON)
- Vaughan Road (Vaughan, ON)
- McNally (Calgary, ON)