Tariq’s Tidbits: East Coastin’
As soon as we boarded our 8:30 AM flight from Toronto, we knew it was going to be a weekend.
Between Kyle, Elias and I, there was too much basketball to talk about for us to nap through our travels.
The passengers on the flight more than likely received a healthy dose of Canadian basketball whether they liked it or not.
But what’s not to like right? The game is booming and it’s beautiful to watch as we have court side seats to witness these players’ develop on and off the floor.
To say the least, Kyle quickly found out about the opposing views and perspectives between Elias and I as we analyzed high school, CIS, NCAA & NBA players.
We live for this.
- Intensity — The fundamental skill level of players on the East Coast is gradually building, however nobody can ever question the heart with which these kids play with. 60 Wide-eyed prospects in the gym soaked in everything
- Rowan Power –– This young prospect will certainly play at the next level due to his MOTOR. He never stops working and his relentless approach to the game is contagious.
- Size for Position – An area that we have stressed at the #NPHShowcase. As a result, there was a significant amount of fundamental skill work on every aspect of the game.
- KJ Dunk – The word is Kyle Julius put down a dunk, taking him back to his glory days–but it could have been a squeeze. If you asked him, he’ll tell you he threw down the hammer.
- Javon Masters 250 Test – Heavy respect for the CIS rookie of the year, Javon Masters, as he set a new personal 250 Test record of 217 points in front of 100 people, after a 4-hour car ride from Fredericton, New Brunswick to Halifax, Nova Scotia! BIG TIME!!
- CIS Coaches at #NPHShowcase –-There was strong representation from across the East Coast, with several head coaches in attendance to evaluate talent. UNB (Brent Baker), Memorial (Peter Benoite), Saint Mary’s (Jonah Taussig), Dalhousie (Rick Plato) + CCAA representation from UNB-Saint John’s (Peter Vincent).
- Radio Chatter – In the middle of this jam-packed weekend, I had the opportunity to hop on ESPN Radio and discuss Canadians in the NCAA on the Joey Brander show on Saturday morning. In addition, I was invited to chat more Canadian basketball on FAN590 radio.
- Dyshawn Pierre-BALLIN. DP put in work against Florida
- Lobster Dinner- You can’t come out to the East Coast and not enjoy the seafood!!! Enough said here.