MVP Aaliyah Edwards lifts Ontario to National Gold
The 2017 U15 Girls National Championships are in the books and Ontario has re-taken the title with a 75-55 win over Quebec.
The game started out as expected with the two basketball powers showing the defensive ability and Quebec leading 9-7 with 5 minutes into the first Q. Ontario took its first lead 10-9 on a jumper with 4:17 on the clock by 6-1 G Kayla Drummond which was the result of a steal by 5-9 G Marzan Demeke (top defender in the tourney). This was followed by a 2 FTs and a 3 ball from 6-0 G Merrisah Russell (20pts) to make it 15-10 and Team Ontario offensive flow pick up continuing the separation to build a 40-23 half time lead.
Quebec was once again led by strong play from 5-5 G Sarah Baily who tallied 19 points and led her team with 7 rebounds. Aaliyah Edwards chipped in with another double for Ontario with 17pts and 10rbs.
These are two equally skilled teams but the work that Team Ontario did on the boards (45-29 Ontario advantage) and the chaos they created on D starting with Marzan Demeke was the difference. Demeke was key in disrupting Quebec’s top player Lisa Tesson which took Quebec out of any flow throughout the game.
Tournament Placings MVP: Aaliyah Edwards (Ontario)
1 Ontario 5-0
2 Quebec 3-2
3 Saskatchewan 6-1
4 British Columbia 2-4
5 Alberta 3-3
6 Manitoba 0-5
7 Newfoundland 4-2
8 New Brunswick 2-4
9 Nova Scotia 1-5
Points per Game
- Aaliyah Edwards Ontario: 17.4
- Sarah Bailly Quebec: 14
- Tea Demong Alberta: 13.5
- Merissah Russell Ontario: 13.4
- Maggie Pottle Newfoundland: 12.5
Rebounds per Game
- Tea Demong Alberta: 10.83
- Aaliyah Edwards Ontario: 8.6
- Haley Fedick Alberta: 8.5
- Allie McCarrthy New Brunswick: 7.17
- Kaylee Plouffe Alberta: 6.67
Steals per Game
- Kennedy Hollinger Saskatchewan: 4.14
- Surprise Minuie British Columbia: 3.83
- Maggie Pottle Newfoundland: 3.33
- Allie McCarrthy New Brunswick: 2.67
- Aaliyah Edwards Ontario: 2.6