First and foremost, to our Canadian readers, we here at @NorthPoleHoops would like to wish you a happy family day!
That being said, there were Canadians in the NCAA with strong performances over the weekend, that we need to catch up on from Saturday and Sunday action.
The Baylor Bears pulled it out late, beating Kansas State in double overtime 87-73. Kenny Cherry (Montreal, QC) had an outstanding game posting 20 points (8-21 FG, 2-6 3PT, 2-3 FT) 10 rebounds and 12 assists. With this performance, Chery became only the 14th player in BIG 12 history to record a triple-double.
Khem Birch (Montreal, QC) nearly mimicked his fellow Quebecer Kenny Chery, coming one block short of a triple double, logging in 11 points (4-6 FG, 3-4 FT), 12 rebounds and career-high 9 swats Saturday. The UNLV rebels went on to win by 11, beating the Utah Stat Aggies 73-62. Canadian Jordan Bachynski (ASU) leads the NCAA in shot blocking (4.6 BPG) while Birch is now tied for #2 at 3.8!
Note: Sim Bhullar (NMSU) currently ranks at #6 in BPG at 3.45.
- Renaldo Dixon (Toronto, ON) scored 20 points (7-9 FG, 1-2 3PT, 5-9 FT) grabbed 9 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steals while, Daniel Mullings (Toronto, ON) chipped in 15 points (5-9 FG, 1-4 3PT, 4-4 FT) 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals as New Mexico State blew out Chicago State, 83-55.
- Kevin Pangos (Landing , ON) scored 17 points on 6 of 12 shooting for the field, including 3 of 8 from three point land as Gonzaga whooped Loyola Marymount 67-86. Pangos also had 2 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal.
- Syracuse survived another late scare as they topped the North Carolina State Wolfpack 56-55. Tyler Ennis (Brampton, ON) posted a modest 9 ponts (3-10 FG, 0-2 3PT, 3-5 FT) adding 6 assists as the Orange are still a perfect 25 and 0.
- The St. Bonaventure Bonnies pulled to one game under .500 in conference play with a 85-73 win over George Mason. Mathew Wright (Toronto, ON) exploded for 24 points sinking 12 of his 13 free throw attempts (including 5-12 FG, 2-5 3PT), adding 4 rebounds and 2 assists.
- Andrew Wiggins (Vaughn, ON) scored 17 points (7-11 FG, 1-3 3PT, 2-2 FT) grabbing 4 boards and dished out 4 assists and his Jayhawks cruised to a 95-65 win.
- Melvin Ejim’s (Toronto, ON) number 11th ranked Iowa State Cyclones beat Texas Tech 70-64. The senior leader had 13 points (5-8 FG, 0-2 3PT, 3-6 FT), 6 rebounds and 3 assists.
Everyone knows about Tyler Ennis and the undefeated Syracuse Orange, especially after the Brampton, Ontario product recently played hero. But #4-ranked Wichita State (27-0) demands your attention!
The Shockers remained unbeaten Sunday winning 84-68 over Evansville. Chadrack Lufile (Burlington, ON) scored 8 points (4-5 FG) and Nick Wiggins (Vaughan) added 3 points (1-3 FG) for the Shockers.
Despite Boston College’s 69-73 loss to Notre Dame, Olivier Hanlan (Gatineau, QC) did his part. He scored 18 points (6-14 FG, 1-3 3PT, 5-6 FT) including 4 rebounds and 3 assists. Boston College has struggled all season
- Jason Calliste (Toronto, ON) scored 14 points (4-6 3PT, 2-4 FT) off the bench for the Oregon Ducks who beat Oregon state 93-83. Calliste, a spark plug off the bench, also chipped in 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals.
- The slumping Michigan Wolverines lost 75-62 to #21 Wisconsin Sunday. Nik Stauskas (Mississauga, ON) put in 11 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists. Stauskas shot 4 of 11 from the field, including missing his only 2 three point attempts. He was 3 of 4 from the charity stripe.
- Maurice Walker (Scarborough, ON) scored 8 points (3-7 FG, 2-4 FT) , grabbed 6 rebounds and had 3 blocks as Minnesota won 54-48.
- Dylan Ennis (Brampton, ON) and Villanova had to deal with a career night from Doug McDermott, as they fell 101-80 to the hands of Creighton. Ennis posted a decent 11 points (3-8 FG, 3-5 3PT, 2-2 FT) and 2 rebounds. Jahenns Manigat (Ottawa, ON) was scoreless in 11 minutes of play.